***CLEAR BROWSER CACHE***
If you have an issue with round circles displaying all over the forum, it will clear up once you clear out your browser cache.

How to Nurture a testimony that will never fail

A place to share your witness and testimony of Christ, the restored gospel, the Book of Mormon etc...
SkyBird

How to Nurture a testimony that will never fail

Post by SkyBird » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:09 am

How to nurture a testimony that will never fail you… It must be based in "eternal principles" innate to the soul. If a testimony is based in the "form or structure" of religion it will fail you.

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

(New Testament | Ephesians 6:4)

BEHOLD, it came to pass that I, Enos, knowing my father that he was a just man—for he taught me in his language, and also in the nurture and admonition of the Lord—and blessed be the name of my God for it—
2 And I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins.
3 Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.
4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.
5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.
6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.
7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?
8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.

(Book of Mormon | Enos 1:1 - 8)

verb (used with object), nurtured, nurturing.
to feed and protect:
to nurture one's offspring.
to support and encourage, as during the period of training or development; foster.
to bring up; train; educate.
noun
rearing, upbringing, training, education, or the like.
Development.
something that nourishes; nourishment; food.

Nurturing our testimonies…

We can have a testimony of many things…. A testimony of tithing. A testimony of temple work. A testimony of missionary work. A testimony of Christ, a testimony of the Church, a testimony of a Prophet... all these are "forms and structures" and will not pass the tests, storms and trials of mortality.

What do you suppose Christ has a testimony of? What do you suppose the Father has a testimony of?

“Lectures on Faith…. 86 years this was the “doctrine” of the Church. This is the “key” to a testimony based in eternal principles that is innate to each person around the world and it will never fail you, ever! But it needs to be nourished, manifested, immersed into completely until it becomes you, in thought, word and deed!

“If men do not comprehend the character of God they do not comprehend themselves… as soon as we begin to understand the character of God, he begins to unfold the heavens to us” (WofJS pgs 340-341).

I love this… JS said: “I want you to understand God and how he came to be God. We suppose that God was God from eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil so you may see. It is the 1st principle to know that we may converse with Him and that he was once a man like us, and the Father was once on an earth like us… You have got to learn how to be a god yourself in order to save yourself, to be priests & Kings as all Gods have done… WofJS pgs. 340-362

These are they who are not valiant in the testimony of Jesus; Why?
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 76:79)

who were blinded by the craftiness of men. Why?

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 76:75)

the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:36)

What are the principles of righteousness?

gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
42 By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:41 - 42)

Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:45 - 46)

For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

(New Testament | Romans 2:25 - 29)

“Circumcision” is the casting off the “works of the flesh” the “forms and structures” of mortality.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

(New Testament | Galatians 5:19 - 26)

that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

(New Testament | 2 Timothy 3:1 - 7)

The Supreme Court just ruled on gay marriages and this is an abomination to the Lord and the principles of righteousness and holiness of a godly character.

The same thing for the BSA… if they allow gay leadership to enter the ranks… this is another abomination, an offence to being “morally straight” and the principles of righteousness and a godly character. I will pull my support from the BSA if this goes through July 27th… I hope the LDS Church stands on principle, as 4 members are on the National Executive Board.

Members of the BSA National Executive Board—including four members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints general officers, President Thomas S. Monson, Elder Jeffery R. Holland, Brother Stephen W. Owen and Sister Rosemary M. Wixom—will meet July 27 to ratify this resolution.
See full details on:

http://blog.utahscouts.org/venturing/5- ... -scouting/

And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land.

(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 29:27)

It is becoming clearer, that if I want a testimony that will never fail me, I must base it in the attributes, character and perfections of godliness… these are the principles of righteousness that will be the same yesterday, today and forever. For me this is what Christ's and Fathers testimonies are rooted and grounded in. This is my testimony of them!

"for any portion of the human family to be assimilated into their likeness is to be saved" (Lectures on Faith 7:16).

A Random Phrase

Re: How to Nurture a testimony that will never fail

Post by A Random Phrase » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:40 pm

I love this - I wish I had something profound to add to it.

BrotherOfMahonri

Post by BrotherOfMahonri » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:40 am

What do you do then, when you are one of those children where your father did not heed this counsel, "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath:" and the result is children have wrath towards father continually for he continues to provoke his children?

O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place? D&C 121:1

A Random Phrase

Post by A Random Phrase » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Forgive. It is a choice, eventually, to not feel wrath. It may not happen immediately. In fact, it is a lie that no one can "make" you feel a certain way. They certainly can until you reach a level where you have total control of your feelings, actions, and reactions. So, strive to reach that level of peace.

Beanpicker

Post by Beanpicker » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:13 am

I want to bump this because this is such a vital topic. Thank you all for your wisdom here.

I just finished another round with the BOM, and was wondering what to start on next. This nails it. Lectures on Faith.

HeberC

Post by HeberC » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:45 am

JFS said, "Through the Holy Ghost the truth is woven into the very fiber and sinews of the body so that it cannot be forgotten".

Someone in church was very adamant that a testimony is the same as an opinion. Try that on the witness stand in court and see how fast you are found in contempt. My experience is that opinion and testimony are as different as night and day. That is why, instead of people forgetting their testimonies, we have Sons of Perdition. At one point in my life, I tried to forget what I knew through revelation by drinking and I couldn't do it.

If anything fails, it won't be a testimony. I don't remember enough of the Pre-existence to know why my testimony came to me, but I believe that it can't fail. I, on the other hand, can fail.

krich

Post by krich » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:06 pm

HeberC wrote:JFS said, "Through the Holy Ghost the truth is woven into the very fiber and sinews of the body so that it cannot be forgotten".

Someone in church was very adamant that a testimony is the same as an opinion. Try that on the witness stand in court and see how fast you are found in contempt. My experience is that opinion and testimony are as different as night and day. That is why, instead of people forgetting their testimonies, we have Sons of Perdition. At one point in my life, I tried to forget what I knew through revelation by drinking and I couldn't do it.

If anything fails, it won't be a testimony. I don't remember enough of the Pre-existence to know why my testimony came to me, but I believe that it can't fail. I, on the other hand, can fail.

W O W ! !
THIS is Powerful!

Thank you, HeberC