***CLEAR BROWSER CACHE***
If you have an issue with round circles displaying all over the forum, it will clear up once you clear out your browser cache.

Our Friends Testimony and Advice

A place to share your witness and testimony of Christ, the restored gospel, the Book of Mormon etc...
ajax

Our Friends Testimony and Advice

Post by ajax » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:09 pm

For those who don't know, gad (Daniel) has had his testimony up online for nearly two years now.

Here is the website with his posts "My Testimony" and his recent post "My Advice"

http://thesecondcomforter.com/

I don't self-identify as a remnant.

"...the waters of [Guadalupe],...how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer"

dewajack

Re: Our Friends Testimony and Advice

Post by dewajack » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:35 pm

That was awesome! I loved this line,
Knowing God should be unremarkable.

It's perfect advice that I greatly need to improve upon. Thanks for sharing Stephen.

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:40 pm

This straight talk was very refreshing.

I met Christ while fully awake, completely sober with no drugs, alcohol, or other mind alternating substances involved. There was no imagination, guided meditation, dreams, 3rd eye sight, no-veil sight, or sleeping involved. I specify this with no judgment intended regarding anyone’s experiences, but simply to clarify the nature of this particular event.

briznian

Post by briznian » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:45 pm

That was nice. It inspires me to be better. Thanks Dan for writing it. Thanks Ajax for posting it here. And most importantly, thanks to God for being merciful.

This Message was Sent Using 100% Recycled Electrons

BrentL

Post by BrentL » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:02 pm

gad the Danianton wrote:Be practical not theoretical.

I have found this to be so helpful to learning about who the Savior is, especially among the homeless.

"Fools!" said I, "you do not know!"
"Silence like a cancer grows"

marc

Post by marc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Thank you, Daniel.

A prayer thus said, when done with real intent, results in the supplicant taking action on the pure intelligence received – no matter how undesirable the action is. Silence is likely an indication that you don’t really want to hear what He will say or that you are ignoring what He already told you.

I needed this. I need to reexamine my heart.

gad

Post by gad » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 am

Glad it helped. More glad to have it almost done!

Newfoundreligion

Post by Newfoundreligion » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks for sharing this.

I recognize this as true. The way he explained the experience of being taken up is common among these types of experiences and is very interesting. I have read accounts of native Americans being taken up to converse with ancestors. Hinduism and Buddhist accounts abound with these things, and my personal conversion began with such an experience. I have since had quite a few. Some start during a lucid dream and some while wide awake. So what do our intentions and desires have to do with these experiences? It seems if we seek an encounter with Jesus or Mary Magdalene, or Buddha or whoever that we can attain it if we put faith, hope,and diligence into seeking it. Some go as far as to say that our faith and consciousness create these experiences, and reality bends to our will. This would explain the cast differences in how people see Jesus and his eye color and height and hair color and everything else. In one book I read about spirit world encounters guardian angels claimed they didn't mind letting the mortals think they were Jesus or another archetypal figure because that is what would bring them the most joy and peace. Others claim encounters with their higher selves it all gets very interesting.

AGStacker

Post by AGStacker » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:13 pm

I read this last night gad. Thank you for sharing. I wondered though while reading it...why are you glad for it to be done? Has it caused you contention in your life? Anxiety?

Genuinely just curious. Perhaps you don't like the attention it brings? Your experience gives me hope and I'm thankful for this verse shared in 3rd Nephi and brought to my memory by Adrian's recent post.

And again, more blessed are they who shall believe in your words because that ye shall testify that ye have seen me, and that ye know that I am. Yea, blessed are they who shall believe in your words, and come down into the depths of humility and be baptized, for they shall be visited with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and shall receive a remission of their sins. (3 Nephi 12:2)

gad

Post by gad » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:07 pm

There was some conflict with my bishop that was eventually resolved. Overall, it is more the glad feeling you have when you are close to finishing a task. It really kind of feels like the last couple of months on my mission. I enjoyed my mission, but I also looked forward to moving onto other things.

krich

Post by krich » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:03 pm

Thank you for sharing this. Such important information.

Lance

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:09 pm

This is one heck of a post by Dan which I noticed was buried in the comments section of his website:

Sure, I’d love to further explain. This is gonna be kind of long though. :)

I believe the Book of Mormon gives us the fullness of the gospel. And I believe it points us to Christ as the example of that fullness. So the things that He experienced are our example of what we are to experience. See the following below, which refers specifically to the day of Christ’s baptism, earlier in chapter 31, Nephi tells us he is going to talk about why Christ, being Holy, needed to be baptized (v5-6 etc):

2 Ne 31:17 Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.
18 And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.

So he talks about Christ’s baptism because that shows us the things that we should do. Examining the ordinances that Christ received on the day of his baptism, 3 distinct things happened, He was baptized by water, the Holy Ghost descended upon as a dove, and the Father called out from the heavens announcing Him as Son.

1) Repentance and baptism is entering the gate. This is the baptism of water. (Note, as Nephi says baptism by water just gets you into the gate. You haven’t even started the path yet.)

2) Actually receiving the Holy Ghost which gives you the remission of sins. This is also referred to as the Baptism by Spirit and the Baptism by Fire and the Holy Ghost.
That day in by the Jordan River, the Holy Ghost descended as a dove on Christ as on outward symbol of this ordinance.
(Note, according to Nephi you have only started the strait and narrow path after you have received this ordinance. On your confirmation into the church, you are commanded to receive the Holy Ghost. When you obey that command you have completed this ordinance. Also notice, that the Holy Ghost witnesses something to the Father and the Son.)

3) Receive the Testimony of Jesus. This is also known as the Baptism by Blood, calling and election made sure, receiving the more sure word of prophecy, being sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise, among other terms. On Christ’s baptism He received a Testimony of His Father accepting Him as His Son.

Christ did not need to be baptized since He had no sin. Everything that happened that day was to be an example for us. He was the literal son of god. The Testimony of the Father that Christ received that day was to show us which Testimony we need to receive.

For us, who have need to be born again, Christ is our Father. Christ is the Father of all those whom He saves. The Testimony of Jesus referred to in D&C 76 is the Testimony that Christ has of you. It is His voice adopting you as His son. Receiving this Testimony is possible in this life. Indeed, D&C 76 states it is essential for Celestial glory in the next.

These three events are also discussed in Moses in relation to the first man, Adam.

Moses 6:59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory;

This is Adam’s baptism experience where he, like Christ, experienced and was taught of the 3 ordinances required to return to the presence of God. Notice how the Father directs Adam that Christ is to become our Father through the baptism by blood.

Joseph Smith taught that the Testimony of Jesus is your calling and election “to be sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise that is the testimony of Jesus”
Here is the full quote (Words of Joseph Smith, 209)

First Chapter second Epistle of Peter. The first four verses are the preface to the whole subject. There are three grand Keys to unlock the whole subject. First what is the knowledge of God, Second what is it to make our calling and election sure. Third and last is how to make our calling and election sure. Ans, it is to obtain a promise from God for myself that I shall have Eternal life. that is the more sure word of prophecy. Peter was writing to those of like precious faith with them the Apostles First to be sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise that is the testimony of Jesus Second how is he to get that Holy Spirit; Ans except a man be born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God; second except a man be born of water and the spirit he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. Ques. What is it for a man to obtain salvation Ans, It is to triumph over every foe or ascend far above all enemies for the last enimey to conquer is death and until that is done you have not obtained salvation J. Smith Prophet. Nauvoo.

Receiving the Testimony of Jesus is called by many different names, but now that you know what it is, you will find that Testimony all throughout the scriptures. Lehi, Nephi, Jacob, Enos… and on… the Book of Mormon is the most correct record of people who have received this testimony. Watch for it next time you read through these chapters. Whenever heaven testifies of someone, pay attention to what He says and what led to that experience for the person involved. You will get closer to God by studying this book than any other.

So back to your question. After the baptism of water, you are now worthy (aka qualified) to partake of the sacrament. I believe the sacramental prayers are directions for those things you must do to receive the next baptism. So just as faith and repentance are prerequisites to baptism of water, so does the prayer on the bread reveal the prerequisites to being baptized by the Holy Ghost, and likewise does the prayer on the wine reveal the prerequisites for the baptism of blood.

Moroni 4:3 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

The prayer on the bread is all about willingness. Specifically, you witness to God the Eternal Father that you are willing to become the son of Christ (take His name upon you… just as an adopted child takes the name of his adopted father). That you are willing to always remember Christ (as I understand it, to always look to Him for your commandments and guidance), which He delivers to you via His Spirit. (aka the Word of God, the Iron rod, the Liahona.)

Once those requirements are met, you are baptized by Fire and the Holy Ghost and begin to receive its constant guidance.

2 Nephi 32:5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do. 6 Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.

The guidance is given with the goal (or end) being the actual manifestation of Christ, where He seals you as a Son. The trials you endure on the path amount to tests of your willingness to “take His name upon you”. In essence, you have asked God the Father to witness your desire to be adopted by Christ. The tests are whether you still desire that goal even if you are asked to sacrifice. Abraham was asked to offer up his life, his wife, and eventually his child of promise. Those tests amounted to the desires most dear to his heart. Once those sacrifices were succesfully completed, Abraham knew and knew that God knew, that there was no desire more dear to him than the desire to be reconciled with God.

This brings us to the prayer on the wine

Moroni 5:2 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee, in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

This is no longer a requirement of willingness. Now it is witnessing to God the Eternal Father that you DO always remember him. You have endured every trial of willingness along the path to being redeemed from the fall. You know it, and you know God knows it. Therefore, you can with confidence call upon the heavens to open and be sealed to Him. You have endured to the end of the path. You have achieved the goal of the fullness of the gospel. You have followed the example of Christ gave us on that day at the river Jordan.

Psalms 2: 7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

I know that these things are correct because I have experienced them. Christ desires that all will receive. D&C 93:1 D&C 88:62-68

http://thesecondcomforter.com/my-advice/

gad

Post by gad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:25 pm

It was a bonus blog post hidden in the comments like those easter eggs.

marc

Post by marc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Topics and discussions such as this one are why I am here and keep coming back. Daniel, thank you for your willingness to openly testify of our Savior and for your friendship, and for those bits of advice and insights.

Purple Dove

Post by Purple Dove » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:25 am

More good news. The test is an open book one. The answer is simple – take care of the “least of these.” Even those who did not know Christ and are surprised to find themselves in His presence will pass the test, so long as they have demonstrated the practical skills of feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, taking care of the stranger.

While those who have the theoretical keys of knowledge and have done works in the name of the Lord, but lack the practical works will be cast out. Be practical.

I love this. It's amazing how many people think their knowledge of the scriptures will save them or the Mormon check list will save them. But what a novel idea that even those who DID NOT KNOW CHRIST but had charity in their hearts and LIVED the practical works of Christianity. (Makes me feel better about not being able to read even 1/4 of great books on my wish list.)

As a side note, "the least of these" to me would also include those little children in your home. Anyone can take a day, drive down to the homeless shelter or prison and care for them for a couple hours (Not saying there's anything wrong with that). But it seems a rare feat, and one that would cause the angels to take notice, that there is a family who spends every exhausting day teaching, loving, patiently gritting your teeth during sassy time, ministering, etc. day after day after day.

Though Dan says it better:
It is easy to be Christlike when reading from a prepared talk. It is hard when being cut off while on your commute. It is easy to think you are righteous when you are fawned over while wearing your finest clothes and called by adoring titles. Hard to act Christlike when you are spent and worn out at home. Don’t run out chasing altars and titles while your wife and children are in distress.

Awesome stuff! Good news indeed!