***CLEAR BROWSER CACHE***
If you have an issue with round circles displaying all over the forum, it will clear up once you clear out your browser cache.

The wisdom of man

A place to share your witness and testimony of Christ, the restored gospel, the Book of Mormon etc...
Torquemada

The wisdom of man

Post by Torquemada » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:15 am

After my mission, way back in my university days I was taking a course in philosophy at a non LDS university. I was having a difficult time understanding this course. The prof would hand out papers with very complicated wordings that I had to struggle with. The other students were throwing around the terminology and this made me feel inadequate and wonder why wasn't I getting it. I would read over and over single sentences just trying to get it.

One day we were giving some especially complicated readings and again the students were kicking the stuff around comments and I was lost, totally lost. I was thinking perhaps I should drop out as philosophy was not something for me. But it was a required course.

Feeling hopeless I bowed my head in prayer and asked for help to understand what was written and if it had any value. When I opened my eyes I suddenly understood it all with perfect clarity. The first page had 3 paragraphs and the 2nd was one large complicated paragraph.

I clearly saw the meaning of each paragraph. Where did we come from? Why are we here and where are we going? The final paragraph was about not knowing any of the above. :ugeek:

Then I saw that the students that appeared so sophisticated and intelligent didn't understand any of it either and the Professor with his Ph.D neither understood it! They were faking it!!! It was not about learning, it was about trying to look smart.

That was the day I lost interest in the learning of men.

I no longer have this paper with my notes. It has been lost in the transcourse of of my life. One student saw my notes and he immediately copied them down and thought they were fantastically ingenious. I couldn't quite tell him how I figured it out though. 8-)

I managed to somehow pass the course and the final question on the exam was what was the most valuable thing I got out of the course. My answer was that I now understand what education is about. I'm sure the prof. didn't understand that answer as I meant it.

So if you haven't taken philosophy, fret not, you haven't missed much :lol: I'm now a fan of Dr. Doom, Charlotte Iserbyt and home schooling.

The church does not have all the truth, otherwise why would we be admonished to seek further light and knowledge?

Meili

Re: The wisdom of man

Post by Meili » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:21 am

:)) Funny story.

I took an honors ethics class. The class was the most difficult class I've ever taken. I quit my job in order to have time to do all my course work that semester and spent nearly all my time doing homework. We also studied a lot of philosophy in that class. We studied Aristotle and other classic writers. I remember also struggling with the concepts.

One day in class, the teacher gave us a case study to discuss. He told us about a car company that had discovered an issue with one of their models. They had done the math and decided that it would be cheaper to pay off law suits for the deaths that would occur than to do a recall. They were found out and faced a lot of legal trouble. The teacher asked us what was wrong about what the company did.

Several students gave long complicated answers. I was stunned that they had no understanding of the issue. I was shy at the time but couldn't stand the glaring ignorance any more so I raised my hand and said, "They are putting a price on human life." The teacher confirmed I was right and began to lecture on the point.

The truth is so simple. The "wisdom" of men likes to make it complicated. They want an exclusive claim on understanding. I think they instinctually realize that gaining truth takes hard work. But they don't realize that despite the hard work, it is still very simple. All they can accomplish with their big words and lengthy explanations is an outward appearance that seems pretty impressive but is hollow and empty on the inside.

krich

Post by krich » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:23 pm

This conversation brings to my memory sitting through general conference after general conference waiting for that one little nugget of truth then clinging onto it for dear life, gushing over the "spirit" , those wise men (who I now recognize quote each other), and etc.I wondered what was wrong with me? Why wasn't I thrilled to listen and learn? Or sitting in GD class hearing the same lessons over and over forever of milk, not meat with frustration and boredom. Before I quit attending the LDS church I realized that there wasn't much truth taught that enlightened and lifted my spirit. It didn't point me to Christ, it pointed me to adore men, local and GA's who haven't or don't study and understand the scriptures, who haven't received the Lord. It pointed me to idol worship. There is so much pretending in those meetings, so much of "oh, this scripture doesn't mean what it says, it mean this" kinda garbage.....

I am still as flawed and broken as I ever was, but now I go to God for answers....no longer to man who says "this is what God says... ". I let Him tell me Himself. Relying on flesh and the philosophies of men with fail every time. EVERY TIME, I tell you.....been there, done that.

My brother asked me "what do you know about the Doctrine of Christ and Denver Snuffer?" One of these days I'm gonna have to tell them all.

It won't be pretty. None of my family will like or appreciate what I have to say. Too bad for them. It won't be pretty for me either, but it must be done. I'm not looking forward to it.

Meili

Post by Meili » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 pm

It's not milk they're serving in those meetings, my friend. Milk makes babies grow really fast. It's vomit. Regurgitated sewage consumed and upchucked over and over again.

A Random Phrase

Post by A Random Phrase » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Krich, my siblings know about Denver Snuffer because I've told them. They don't argue, but only one is TBM. They don't know that I have resigned. I don't see a reason to tell them.

That "if that" DS talked about? I didn't think I had one. But, then, the policy came out forbidding blessing of certain babies and baptism of certain children. That was my point of departure. Interestingly enough, after I made the decision, God told me he was glad I had made the decision. He told me that I needed to either go to Church and speak truth openly, or resign. Since I had been doing neither, I'd been lukewarm.

Meili

Post by Meili » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:08 pm

The three boring hours was all it took for me.....

Torquemada

Post by Torquemada » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:52 pm

I call sunday school "gospel trivial pursuit class." hehehehe. General conferences helps my insomnia and I snooze away.

When in college I developed this strategy regarding the relevance of classes. Does this class make me a more productive person? Does this class make me a better person? and Does it train my ability to reason? Sadly most classes didn't fit that category. I use the same strategy with church classes and sadly....... But I do enjoy making comments that get the people thinking, but careful not to go overboard.

The church does not have all the truth, otherwise why would we be admonished to seek further light and knowledge?

SkyBird

Post by SkyBird » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:39 pm

Yes I know what you mean... isn't it sad we have to be careful what we say and can't just be open enough as a people to let our mind pour out! God knows all our thoughts and does not condemn us but allows us to mold our thinking to fit the beliefs we have and we eventually will reap the reward we have chosen.

I have a lot of cosmic ideas spiritually speaking and I am glad I can share them with my wife and grown up children and none of us get upset or defensive of cosmic spiritual thinking. Organized religion is so confining and deadening to an open spirit that wants to learn and see beyond the structured idol worshiping thinkers that think there particular religion is going to save them... and they are right, it will! They just won't realize that they themselves have damned themselves, because they refuse to see or understand outside the box of organized religion!

"for any portion of the human family to be assimilated into their likeness is to be saved" (Lectures on Faith 7:16).

gruden

Post by gruden » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Torq, that's exactly why I avoided Philosophy in college - it seemed like a giant mind game and nothing good could come of it.

I thought I came out OK from college from an educational standpoint. I took a variety of courses: math, science, history, art, writing, etc. Basically a liberal arts education that exposed me to a lot of useful and interesting things. I wish I could've made more of it, but I specifically avoided Philosophy (and Psychology as well). Of course my son wants to study psychology, hopefully it works out for him. I challenge him to think for himself of what he sees and hears. We live in a Matrix so a lot of our reality is manufactured and constructed.