Who will gather the 144,00 high priests?

General discussion
krich

Who will gather the 144,00 high priests?

Post by krich » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:12 pm

I've been looking and looking in scripture to understand who's job this is. In a transcription of a David Whitmer of "this" generation, he says the the "fathers" of these high priests come from heaven to find their sons. He died in 2014.

I can't find anything to back that up in scripture. Although Matthew said once that a messenger named Ben has come to him several times to give messages and so forth.

Does anyone have knowledge about this and/or scripture to support the WHO? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

stillwater

Re: Who will gather the 144,00 high priests?

Post by stillwater » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Here are a couple of texts that your question brought to mind:

http://www.boap.org/LDS/Parallel/1839/8Aug39(1).html
Paul speaks of the Church coming to an innumerable company of angels--to God the Judge of all the spirits of just men made perfect; to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant. (Hebrews 12:22-24.)

I saw Adam in the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman. He called together his children and blessed them with a patriarchal blessing. The Lord appeared in their midst, and he (Adam) blessed them all, and foretold what should befall them to the latest generation.

This is why [Adam] blessed his posterity; he wanted to bring them into the presence of God. They looked for a city, [that hath foundations], "whose builder and maker is God." (Hebrews 11:10.) Moses sought to bring the children of Israel into the presence of God, through the power of the Priesthood, but he could not. In the first ages of the world they tried to establish the same thing; and there were Eliases raised up who tried to restore these very glories, but did not obtain them; but they prophesied of a day when this glory would be revealed. Paul spoke of the dispensation of the fullness of times, when God would gather together all things in one, etc.; and those men to whom these keys have been given, will have to be there; and they without us cannot be made perfect.

These men are in heaven, but their children are on the earth. Their bowels yearn over us. God sends down men for this reason. "And the Son of Man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that give offense and them that do iniquity." (Matthew 13:41.) All these authoritative characters will come down and join hand in hand in bringing about this work.

The Kingdom of God is like a grain of mustard seed. The mustard seed is small, but brings forth a large tree, and the fowls lodge in the branches. The fowls are the angels. Thus angels come down, combine together to gather their children, and gather them. We cannot be made perfect without them, nor they without us; when these things are done, the Son of Man will descend, the Ancient of Days sit; we may come to an innumerable company of angels, have communion with and receive instruction from them…

Let us seek for the glory of Abraham, Noah, Adam, the Apostles, who have communion with [knowledge of] these things, and then we shall be among that number when Christ comes.

Revelation 7:1-4
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.
2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,
3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

D&C 77
Q. What are we to understand by the four angels, spoken of in the 7th chapter and 1st verse of Revelation?
A. We are to understand that they are four angels sent forth from God, to whom is given power over the four parts of the earth, to save life and to destroy; these are they who have the everlasting gospel to commit to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people; having power to shut up the heavens, to seal up unto life, or to cast down to the regions of darkness.

Q. What are we to understand by the angel ascending from the east, Revelation 7th chapter and 2nd verse?
A. We are to understand that the angel ascending from the east is he to whom is given the seal of the living God over the twelve tribes of Israel; wherefore, he crieth unto the four angels having the everlasting gospel, saying: Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. And, if you will receive it, this is Elias which was to come to gather together the tribes of Israel and restore all things.

Q: What are we to understand by sealing the one hundred and forty-four thousand, out of all the tribes of Israel, twelve thousand out of every tribe ?
A: We are to understand that those who are sealed are high priests ordained unto the Holy Order of God to administer the everlasting gospel, for they are they who are ordained out of every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, by the angels to whom is given power over the nations of the earth, to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn.
Assuming that D&C 77 actually came from Joseph Smith and actually represents revelation on this topic, it seems it will be four actual angels who ordain the 144,000 spoken of. The teachings recorded by Willard Richards in 1839, assuming they accurately transmit Joseph Smith's words, suggest that the work of gathering happens according to a combination formed among angels sent by God because their bowels yearn over their posterity.

-Bob

krich

Post by krich » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Thank you Bob. I had found the scriptures in Revelation s and in the D and C. The rest that you shared is helpful and does support my theory. Thank you.

stillwater

Post by stillwater » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:28 pm

You're welcome
In a transcription of a David Whitmer of "this" generation... He died in 2014.
Who is this referring to?

-Bob

krich

Post by krich » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:10 am

stillwater wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:28 pm
You're welcome
In a transcription of a David Whitmer of "this" generation... He died in 2014.
Who is this referring to?
I'm referring to now, to these latter days. To be more clear, the David Whitmer who died in his 70's in 2014 I'm referring to is a relative of The David Whitmer of Joseph Smith's time. If I had a link to the transcription I would post it. It was super interesting. Is that clear as mud? :qqb013:

stillwater

Post by stillwater » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:01 pm

I think I understand. Is this the transcript you referenced?

http://reclaimingtherestoration.blogspo ... dited.html

-Bob

SkyBird

Post by SkyBird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 pm

My deepest feeling tells me the 144,000 are being prepared even now and as D&C 77: 11 states, and there mission is to "to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn."

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 77:11)

The "church of the Firstborn" appears to be a spiritual gathering, not associated with organized religion per say, though it could actually gather from these areas. They (144,000) are, as stated, "ordained by angels." These "angels" seem to me to be those on the other side of the veil who are actually members of the "church of the Firstborn"... who understand the character and foundation of a spiritual church that has probably been rolling forth "cut out of the mountain without hands" (D&C 65: 2) since Adam &Eve have been here. It is my feelings that this "stone" "cut out of the mountain without hands" (Daniel 2: 44-45) is referring to this "spiritual church," or "spiritual gathering," and is probably the same "spiritual church" that Nephi talked about in (1 Nephi 14: 10-14)... where in he said:

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory."

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 14:14)

He says "the power of the Lamb of God"..."descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord" ... and because of this "they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory." Keep in mind that the Lord is "no respecter of persons" but He is a respecter of those who are virtuous and pure of heart.

I personally believe at the Council of Adam-ondi-Ahman is where the 144,000 will be set apart by the angels under the direction of Christ. Who will gather them? ... the Spirit under the direction from Christ. If the Lord can move a mountain from here to there by his word, certainly He can gather those among the "church of the Firstborn" by his word as well.

"for any portion of the human family to be assimilated into their likeness is to be saved" (Lectures on Faith 7:16).

krich

Post by krich » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 pm

SkyBird wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 pm
My deepest feeling tells me the 144,000 are being prepared even now and as D&C 77: 11 states, and there mission is to "to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn."

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 77:11)

The "church of the Firstborn" appears to be a spiritual gathering, not associated with organized religion per say, though it could actually gather from these areas. They (144,000) are, as stated, "ordained by angels." These "angels" seem to me to be those on the other side of the veil who are actually members of the "church of the Firstborn"... who understand the character and foundation of a spiritual church that has probably been rolling forth "cut out of the mountain without hands" (D&C 65: 2) since Adam &Eve have been here. It is my feelings that this "stone" "cut out of the mountain without hands" (Daniel 2: 44-45) is referring to this "spiritual church," or "spiritual gathering," and is probably the same "spiritual church" that Nephi talked about in (1 Nephi 14: 10-14)... where in he said:

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth; and they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory."

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 14:14)

He says "the power of the Lamb of God"..."descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord" ... and because of this "they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory." Keep in mind that the Lord is "no respecter of persons" but He is a respecter of those who are virtuous and pure of heart.

I personally believe at the Council of Adam-ondi-Ahman is where the 144,000 will be set apart by the angels under the direction of Christ. Who will gather them? ... the Spirit under the direction from Christ. If the Lord can move a mountain from here to there by his word, certainly He can gather those among the "church of the Firstborn" by his word as well.
Many thanks Skybird. I agree that they will be gathered by the direction of Christ by the Spirit. I do appreciate you for answering by question.