Detecting Decption

General discussion
MichaelB

Re: Detecting Decption

Post by MichaelB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm not trying to derail any thread, and I'm not intentionally reading anything into what you wrote.

I've been told, in other threads, that the meaning of 1 Corinthians 13:7 is that anyone with charity will accept anything they're told unless they have knowledge to the contrary ( and that if we don't do that it's evidence that we don't have charity, and are without eternal life abiding in us. )

I noticed that you said here that you don't believe everyone who says they've had a spiritual experience, and are sometimes somewhat skeptical, even when you consider it possible that they're telling the truth, and try to give them the benefit of the doubt ( which would seem to mean that you don't always know that they're lying ), and I wanted to know how you understand 1 Corinthians 13:7?

Do you believe it really means that anyone with charity will accept anything they're told unless they have knowledge to the contrary?

And does that mean you have to work harder on this yourself?

And is that not a fair and honest question given what you wrote here?
...As for other peoples experiences I don't know, I tend to hear people, and generally do not believe them, simply because they don't match what the scriptures have said, or my own experiences, but I try to give others the benefit of the doubt. There is always the possibility that they are telling the truth, to me, hearing others it seems sensational when I hear things like a "portal" opened up...
And doesn't the question of whether or not our default position should be one of believing everything that everyone tells ( unless we have knowledge to the contrary ) relate to the OP topic of detecting deception?