Last minute proposal

***Please Read***
An open discussion forum for those who have assented to the covenant offered through Denver Snuffer to write and / or adopt by mutual agreement a statement of principles as a guide and standard.
log

Re: Last minute proposal

Post by log » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Spencer,

There is a 5th reason to prefer the Lukan Sermon to the others - it omits any references to the Law of Moses. It's not necessary for someone to be familiar with the Law of Moses (which includes the 10 commandments) to understand, where the Matthean and the Nephite sermons require some familiarity with the Law of Moses.

Cuefrmesp

Post by Cuefrmesp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm

I did not think about that before now. Thanks for sharing. Luke must be your example of keeping things straight forward, so that things aren’t introduced to invite mischief.

log

Post by log » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Yes, that is so. And it's simple enough that a child can understand.

Luke was written for a Gentile audience.

Mujer

Post by Mujer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 pm

I feel inclined to agree with your thinking, Log, about why one proposal has been given the stage before all the others. And thanks Cuefrmesp for letting me know your effort to get your proposal more seen.

Today has been such a painful day for my heart concerning the G&S. The more I ponder simply using what Log suggests the more it seems the best idea. Perhaps in the future when we, as a people, have more light and knowledge (also more love and tenderness), the G&S will naturally evolve with us. But I felt YHWH place on my heart to submit a post to go up on the G&S blog. It is not a proposal; it's an apology with some things from the Prayer for Covenant and the Sermon on the Mount. I hope the powers-that-be will post it. But I'm not sure since it is neither a proposal nor in support of one.

Log, I was studying Matthew 5-7 last night and noticed all the JST corrections. I want to compare Luke's record and 3 Nephi but thought I would ask you: Is any of the light given from the JST "lost" by using the sermon in Luke? I know nothing is really lost. All can read the Matthew record as well as the Luke and 3 Nephi one. But was just wondering in the context of only using one over the other in the G&S. Oh, and why is it you feel specific instructions to the disciples can be omitted? I guess my preference is for Matthew's version, but I understand how the shorter one could have more appeal and benefit at the first. Thank you for all you've shared. I feel I have learned a lot from considering your ideas, and I appreciate your firmness. I am sorry you are negatively labeled for that.

log

Post by log » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 pm

The JST is best understood as an "advanced" version of the Bible. There's not much difference between the JST version of Luke 6 and the KJV (see JST Luke 6:29-31 for most of the difference).

We cannot expect the world to receive what even the disciples found hard to bear. If they will believe those few things, then they will believe the greater things also, but if they will not believe even those few things, they will not believe the greater things also.

Mujer

Post by Mujer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Okay. I understand that. Thanks so much. I have fallen in love with Christ's words in the Sermon on the Mount, and if nothing else realize I can take it as my own personal guide and standard.